A few days ago, in an interview, we got to find out that the legendary Olu Jacobs suffers from a kind of dementia known as LBD or Lewy Body Dementia, but what does it really mean, is there any cure? What are the treatment options?
These are the questions we want to answer in this post, keep reading.
What is Lewy Body Dementia?
Lewy Body Dementia or LBD for short is a kind of dementia where proteins deposit in the brain, these proteins then go ahead to affect the chemicals in the brain that cause problems with movement, behavior, mood and even thinking. This is one of the most common types of dementia.
What is Dementia?
As we age, our ability to think and remember tend to reduce, dementia is a syndrome that causes a reduction in this ability faster than what is expected from ageing. it affects memory, thinking, comprehension, calculation, language, the ability to learn, judgement. etc.
What Causes Lewy Body Dementia?
The exact cause? We don’t know, but we can say that some things increase your chances of developing this disease and the most important is Age. A family member with the disease might increase your chances too, but it is not inherited. Other diseases like Parkinson might also increase the chances.
What Are The Signs and Symptoms?
- Seeing things that are not there
- hearing things that are not there
- Smelling things that are not there
- disorganized or unclear ideas
- memory loss
- confusion about time or place.
- having difficulty with language or numbers
- Muscle rigidity or stiffness
- Shuffling walk, slow movement, or frozen stance
- Tremor or shaking, most commonly at rest
- Balance problems and repeated falls
- Stooped posture
- Loss of coordination
- Smaller handwriting than was usual for the person
- Reduced facial expression
- Difficulty swallowing
- A weak voice
Please note that not everyone will experience all of these symptoms. Some have a few, some have more.
How Can We Treat It?
Currently, there is no cure for Lewy Body Dementia,