Menstruation is the process by which a woman discharges blood and the lining of the uterus from her vagina at regular intervals of about a month from adolescence till menopause, except during pregnancy.
It is an absolutely normal phenomenon in females but occasionally can become abnormal due to a variety of reasons.
The following scenarios are indicators of abnormal periods and should be investigated.
Your periods are abnormal if
• It occurs less than 21 days apart
• It occurs more than 35 days apart
• It lasts longer than 7days
• It is heavier or lighter than usual
• It is accompanied by severe pain, nausea and vomiting
• You bleed or spot in between your periods
• You bleed or spot after sex
• You bleed or spot after menopause
• You have never seen your period and you are above 16 years
• You have not seen your period for more than 3 months and you are not pregnant or breastfeeding
If you experience any of these symptoms of abnormal menstruation, please see a doctor ASAP!